Rejected Aztec - 4 Team SnD map

SirDodgy

Map name: Aztec
Map desc: Deep in the jungle, four Aztec tribes wage war.
Author: SirDodgy
Pictures:

The temple:
•The temple has 5 small entrances, each one individually easy to defend but all five together make it quite hard to defend. 3 of the entrances are 2 blocks wide, one of them is 1 block wide, and the last is one block wide but 1.5 blocks tall requiring the player to shift to make it through. These 5 entrances are located on different sides of the temple.
•Once in the temple, there are two staircases in the main room that lead up to the bomb room located just above the main entrance room. The bomb room has two entrances from either side.
•When the bomb is armed, it will fall down into the main entrance room on top of the treasure pile and activate a beacon. Since the bomb falls down, it is easier for the team to return back and defuse the bomb.
•It is not possible to climb up from the outside of the temple, only once you've gone up the staircase. (Unless you have enderpearls)
•If you get to the very top, there's a little opening down into the bomb room, this could be used for archers or explosive in order to defend the bomb room. However, they will be fragile up there...
•There are small holes around in the temple for archers to shoot through or for you to hide.

The rest of the map:
•There is a large lake that separates each team's land area.
•Each team's area has two bridges leading to another team's land area. If you really want to you can also run all the way around the bridge by following the landmass.
•From each team's area there is also a land bridge leading into the mid-plateau.
•The paths lead to different entrances of the temple. The back entrance can be accessed by going to the backside of the temple. (The landscape there is still flat and suitable for pvp)
•There are 8 ladders 'areas' around the map, two for each team's land area so that you can return to the main playing surface if you fall off.
•Most of the maps land area is open for pvp so you won't fall down unless you fight right by the edges.
•There are a few small wooden stands around to allow shelter for archers.
•You cannot access the top of the trees without ender pearls.
•The map is surrounded by void, this can be replaced with barriers, a border, or just remain the way it is. It will be a large detour to reach the void so it shouldn't be a problem anyways.

UPDATED:
-A lot fewer lily pads
-Ladders from the lake have been replaced with staircases
-A lot of lighting has been added to the inside of the temples
-Walls have been added to the staircases up to the bomb room to prevent players from getting knocked off too easily
-Leaves shouldn't decay as easily now
-There is a cave entrance under each base accessible from the lake that takes you to a little cave entrance right under the temple.
-Added more boulders to concentrate playing areas

I think that's it... I hope you like the map, please let me know if you have any feedback or concerns! :)

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/hp9pw131a5c452a/Aztec-SND.zip/file

Last edited:

Smalusion

😳
Administrator
Map is very visually impressive as always!

A few concerns, though.
  • It's a little dark inside the pyramid, would add more lighting.
  • The leaves decayed, don't forget to make them persistent!
  • Longbows might be very powerful in defending the bomb room, as they can simply shoot enemies off the ledge entrance down onto the unforgiving floor beneath. A wall or fence may help against this.
  • The abundance of lily pads on the water area could have someone die of fall damage more often than not. Reducing the amount would help.
  • Would also change the method of ascent from the water area. A long, tall ladder isn't the best for gameplay. Maybe a sort of zigzagging staircase? Maybe something else. Up to you!
That's it, really. A quick note, this isn't an "official judging" reply, those will come sometime later! I just wanted to add some thoughts/notes on the map. Anyway, keep it up!

SirDodgy

Map is very visually impressive as always!

A few concerns, though.
  • It's a little dark inside the pyramid, would add more lighting.
  • The leaves decayed, don't forget to make them persistent!
  • Longbows might be very powerful in defending the bomb room, as they can simply shoot enemies off the ledge entrance down onto the unforgiving floor beneath. A wall or fence may help against this.
  • The abundance of lily pads on the water area could have someone die of fall damage more often than not. Reducing the amount would help.
  • Would also change the method of ascent from the water area. A long, tall ladder isn't the best for gameplay. Maybe a sort of zigzagging staircase? Maybe something else. Up to you!
That's it, really. A quick note, this isn't an "official judging" reply, those will come sometime later! I just wanted to add some thoughts/notes on the map. Anyway, keep it up!
Hi smal, I've made all those changes now. Please have a look at the new version, I uploaded a download link on the post.

NightWolfy

Hey SirDodgy! Smal and I appreciate the hastiness of which you made updates your map! This also isn't an official map judging post, however I just wanted to voice a couple concerns we still had pertaining to the map.

• The leaves still unfortunately decay, so whenever we load the world we have to quickly save the leaves by changing them into some other block. Just make sure that you put the persistence for the leaves to true.

• Additionally, the staircase that you created as an alternative to the ladders to get up from the lower water level unfortunately is a bit monotonous to climb. While we don't have an exact answer for you as to how it needs to be changed, it would be best if the staircase had a smooth ascent back up to the top, without the player having to turn their heads very frequently. Possibly consider extending the length of the staircase to achieve this. (My quick idea would be to use stone stairs/slabs jutting out from the hillside to create a natural and smooth incline, however there are many alternative solutions you could implement instead!)

That's it for now! Thank you again for being receptive to our feedback, and I hope this feedback positively contributes to your maps development!

SirDodgy

Hey SirDodgy! Smal and I appreciate the hastiness of which you made updates your map! This also isn't an official map judging post, however I just wanted to voice a couple concerns we still had pertaining to the map.

• The leaves still unfortunately decay, so whenever we load the world we have to quickly save the leaves by changing them into some other block. Just make sure that you put the persistence for the leaves to true.

• Additionally, the staircase that you created as an alternative to the ladders to get up from the lower water level unfortunately is a bit monotonous to climb. While we don't have an exact answer for you as to how it needs to be changed, it would be best if the staircase had a smooth ascent back up to the top, without the player having to turn their heads very frequently. Possibly consider extending the length of the staircase to achieve this. (My quick idea would be to use stone stairs/slabs jutting out from the hillside to create a natural and smooth incline, however there are many alternative solutions you could implement instead!)

That's it for now! Thank you again for being receptive to our feedback, and I hope this feedback positively contributes to your maps development!
Hi!
•I've added a cave entrance from the lake that takes you to a little cave just beneath the temple
•Leaves should be persistent now...
•I've edited terrain to enhance gameplay
•You can't go around the bridges now

Basically added a lot of other small things as well. I did keep the ladders but they change on small platform thingys so that archers can't shoot all the way down them.

Please check out the new photos and file, I've edited my original post!
Any other feedback is appreciated :)

Smalusion

😳
Administrator
Thank you for addressing our concerns. The cave you added is a wonderful solution to the issue of getting out of the water areas in a way that’s better for climbing. The platforms for the ladders are an improvement over both previous iterations as well.

Anyway, this map has been accepted into the testing phase. We’ll be watching how it’s received by the community, but make sure to take your own notes as well. If you have any updates or changes on the map, you’re free to message the updates to us directly.

Well done!

Smalusion

😳
Administrator
Hi Dodgy, we've rejected this map from the testing phase as it hasn’t had any updates addressing the core issue: Its size. Everything feels like it's on a massive scale, leading to teams staying to defend their bomb until the nuke spawns every round. Although the map is very aesthetically pleasing, the size prevents the map from being able to play as well as hoped.

If it does get an update, you're free to reply here or to send me a message on Discord.

Thank you for the submission!

Join our Discord!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Froggo