Accepted Boreal Crest [v2.2]

Mythless

Map Name: Boreal Crest
Author: Mythless
Description: "Atop the highest mountains lies a mystical tundra—mere spectacles under the ethereal arctic lights."

I explain each screenshot shown in detail, so ideally you should view these images on the host image website!
I took all these screenshots during the night because it just makes the arctic lights look so much prettier lol

MAP DOWNLOAD [v2.2]:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sbwdgbzd0wyatai/Boreal Crest v2.2.zip?dl=0

VERSION 2.2 [11/14/2020]

- Minor detail fixes.

- Fyshless.

VERSION 2.1 [11/12/2020]

- Moved the speed beacon. Found some bits in the mainland where you could get the speed boost—don't want anyone to exploit that

- Alongside moving the beacon, a new aesthetic structure was added to the Illyacor Islands path. It's a mage-looking ice crystal with floating rings surrounding it. Think of it as the magical catalyst that is keeping the islands afloat.

- Replaced the frozen water splash wall near the edge with boulders. The placement for that water splash wall felt a little weird. Also opens up the edge area of the map a tad bit.

- Minor detail fixes.

VERSION 2.0 [11/11/2020]

- The map is now loaded in 1.16.4. Doesn't change a whole lot, but just keep that in mind.

- The old floating islands leading to the Illyacor Islands are now bridges. The middle island in this area is also a bridge.

- A new path has been added that leads to the Illyacor Islands. It's a lot faster, but also a lot riskier.

- The beacons hidden under the ice lakes have been removed. Instead, one cyan-colored beacon is hidden under the map itself.

- The speed bonus players will gain from the beacon is upgraded (the effect will last longer)

- Additional aesthetic details have been added to the team bases.

- Upon exiting the team base, only directional helpers for the Crescent Plains path will be given. This is to give players the psychological indicator of which of the two is intended to be the "main" path.

- The frozen waterfall has been redone.

- The edges of the frozen river has been slightly modified to make it look less weird while also making it easier to run across.

- Minor detail fixes.

***I should mention that if you load this up in a singleplayer world, the grass color will look a little jank. Don't worry though—the grass color you see in the images will most likely look the same in a multiplayer server setting.

Last edited:

Woaxa

Staff Member
Administrator
Ah, another myth original, aesthetically this is beautiful. The paths look nice and I can appreciate the alternate route. There does seem to be a lot of dead space towards the frozen waterfall, with that being mid it seems like any fight would get really spread out. I think the bases are perfect, good size entrance while staying open and a nice fighting area inside the walls while still being nice to look at. I'd love to see this get into testing. One super tiny detail that bothers me is how the waterfall is perfectly symmetrical, that could just be me though so if you like it that way ignore me lol

Goodluck with this one myth :)

Smalusion

😳
Administrator
Took a quick little run around the map. It's surprisingly big once you're inside.
Also, it looks stunning. Nice work there.

My main concern right now are the main travel paths. For being the straight, quick, and risky path... the floating islands aren't actually quick. Please take a look at this expert illustration.

As you can see, the red line is very long. It clocks in at 0:42 seconds of straight running. And this includes the Speed beacons. Meanwhile, the green line is the fastest route I could find. Risky, yes, but I'd say less risky than the islands. And it's a big time save.

Suggestion would be to possibly add some risky islands where the magenta line is, and make the initial risky jumps on the red line much safer, solid, or maybe remove them, as the harsh turn required to get there takes quite a few seconds. Another possible solution could be to move the islands close to the cliffs, though I don't know how that would affect the beacons.

Anyway looking good so far I like the colors

Base decoration I feel could be a bit stronger, though I'm lacking for details right now. It doesn't feel lived in, if that makes sense

Mythless

Took a quick little run around the map. It's surprisingly big once you're inside.
Also, it looks stunning. Nice work there.

My main concern right now are the main travel paths. For being the straight, quick, and risky path... the floating islands aren't actually quick. Please take a look at this expert illustration.

As you can see, the red line is very long. It clocks in at 0:42 seconds of straight running. And this includes the Speed beacons. Meanwhile, the green line is the fastest route I could find. Risky, yes, but I'd say less risky than the islands. And it's a big time save.

Suggestion would be to possibly add some risky islands where the magenta line is, and make the initial risky jumps on the red line much safer, solid, or maybe remove them, as the harsh turn required to get there takes quite a few seconds. Another possible solution could be to move the islands close to the cliffs, though I don't know how that would affect the beacons.

Anyway looking good so far I like the colors

Base decoration I feel could be a bit stronger, though I'm lacking for details right now. It doesn't feel lived in, if that makes sense
Thanks for the feedback Smal! I do have a comment on one thing you pointed out:

The bombrun time: I actually was already aware of its length (roughly) and purposefully made it similar to the main path's length. The broad reasoning behind it is to funnel most of the usual activity towards the mainland, instead of it being "split" into two separate areas if that makes sense.

Gameplay-wise, the islands are intended to reward tactical plays, last-ditch efforts, and possible comeback scenarios instead of rewarding those who want to attempt a rush whilst knowing its risks or just simply using it as a different path. A more unconventional map element—the speed beacons—serves to drive this intent. In theory, the temporary effect will actually be most useful when leaving the islands to fight back on the mainland due to the increased likelihood of encountering enemies without this speed boost. I did not intend it to be the "fast but risky" path, but I guess it was accidentally implied when I was explaining it so I can't blame you or anyone else to see it that way. I do agree on shortening it though, as I do see it's a little lengthier than I thought.

Of course the intent of this path can change depending on future feedback and I'm not the best at gameplay design, so I just wanted to lay out my thought process to clear up any possible misconceptions with where I was going with this initially lol

Last edited:

pigpig24

I know Myth updated Boreal yesterday, and while I think the new bridges are beautifully-patterned and the reskinned skeletons are a funny and inspired touch, I have to admit that I prefer the previous iteration more. The new version feels more like a standard map, yeah, but the circular version with the two routes felt magical!

Woaxa

Staff Member
Administrator
Hey Myth, as always this map aesthetically is beautiful. I enjoy how open the bases are, though the path to mid feels a little bland to me and I sort of go on autopilot but that may just be my unfamiliarity with the map. Something I’d like to note though is I’ve had quite a few different people mention to me that they loved the original alternate path so do with that information as you will. I already let you know of the lag chunk near waterfall but I'm not even sure that's fixable lol.

Besides those few points though I think the map plays well and congrats on getting it into testing, excited for any new changes to it.

Join our Discord!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Froggo