Kit Kit: Ranger

Mythless

Kit Name: Ranger
Kit Icon: Arrow of Weakness
Armory: Chain Helmet (Protection 1 Enchant), Leather Tunic (Dyed Gray), Leather Pants (Dyed Gray), Chain Boots (Protection 1 Enchant, Feather Falling 3 Enchant)
Gear: Stone Sword, Bow (Infinity enchant, "Recoil" enchant), Crossbow (Multishot enchant, Quick Charge 3 enchant), Arrow of Weakness (0:11 seconds), Fuse, 2 Arrows (In first inventory slot)
Permanent Effects: Speed 2

Credit Cost: 200

Kit Description: A master of archery that excels in support and mobility, but lacks both offensive and defensive power in return. The Ranger is very lightweight--so much so that any shot from its bow knocks it back in the opposite direction! Every 20 seconds, it is given an Arrow of Weakness to cripple any foes' melee attacks. Combine this with the multishot crossbow to triple the chances of it hitting!

Rundown of the kit:

Ranger is basically a mobility and support-based archer kit that trades off offensive and defensive presence in return. It can easily run around the map with ease thanks to its speed 1 boost (because of how light it is).

Arrow of Weakness: The Ranger is given this tipped arrow every 20 seconds (indicated by the EXP bar), and can only hold one at a time (not including if the arrow is loaded onto the crossbow). Arrows of Weakness seriously hurt any melee kit's DPS, which makes this kit shine the most in situations where melee allies need support. It may also inflict this effect onto enemies that are engaging with the Ranger to gain some pseudo-defense for a short time. The timer will start when the tipped arrow is loaded onto the crossbow, or if it was shot with the regular bow.

Crossbow: If you load the Crossbow with a regular arrow, you will gain another arrow 0.1 seconds after it is loaded. The reason this kit has 2 arrows is so that they don't appear in the hotbar when you re-obtain them!

Effects: Because this kit is very nimble and lightweight, it is given a permanent Speed 2 boost. Rangers can use this boost to their advantage to quickly disengage from precarious situations.

"Recoil" enchantment: If the Ranger shoots any arrows from their bow (not their crossbow), they receive knockback that pushes them in the opposite direction. This knockback is comparative to how Burst's old knockback was.

Slight talk about this kit and Burst: I actually made this kit idea with in mind of being able to "Burst-Fly," which is essentially a feature-turned-into-a-technique where you are able to launch yourself a great distance in the air using Burst's arrow knockback. If this kit were to be implemented, then I feel Burst's knockback should be completely removed. The arrow knockback makes much more sense on this kit, as it is perceived as a fast, nimble, and light kit--whereas Burst is heavy and has a high damage output. With the controversy still surrounding this technique, I personally feel like the mechanic existing in this kit alone should solve both sides.

Also, this technique is just so much fun to use despite how hard it is to master; It would be a waste to not make this thing more legitimate instead of leaving it as an unintended strategy caused by what once was a nice little feature.

Last edited:

Onett

I understand why you would balance the kit in this way. Old burst jump allowed burst, a high damage and high armor kit, to get to unreachable spots and snipe with no penalty to the burst player. Its unfair for a kit to snipe from unreachable places while also being that powerful.

However, I still think Ranger could use some buffs. It is very squishy and doesn't provide much in the way of damage or utility to make up for this weakness. It has a lot of mobility which is a fun mechanic but its kinda useless in fights due to its aforementioned lack of damage and utility. Here are some of my suggestions to help improve the kit

Suggestions:
  1. Remove the weakness effect because the kit is already very bad in close range.
  2. Upgrade leather pants to iron (This gives same armor as medic)
  3. Give crossbow Quick Charge 2/3
These changes would allow the player to be more mobile instead of forcing the player to hide in unreachable places and snipe. In my opinion it lacks damage so I would suggest giving crossbow Quick Charge 2 or 3.

Mythless

I understand why you would balance the kit in this way. Old burst jump allowed burst, a high damage and high armor kit, to get to unreachable spots and snipe with no penalty to the burst player. Its unfair for a kit to snipe from unreachable places while also being that powerful.

However, I still think Ranger could use some buffs. It is very squishy and doesn't provide much in the way of damage or utility to make up for this weakness. It has a lot of mobility which is a fun mechanic but its kinda useless in fights due to its aforementioned lack of damage and utility. Here are some of my suggestions to help improve the kit

Suggestions:
  1. Remove the weakness effect because the kit is already very bad in close range.
  2. Upgrade leather pants to iron (This gives same armor as medic)
  3. Give crossbow Quick Charge 2/3
These changes would allow the player to be more mobile instead of forcing the player to hide in unreachable places and snipe. In my opinion it lacks damage so I would suggest giving crossbow Quick Charge 2 or 3.
Gotcha, just updated the post to reflect your suggestions.

Approached the armor buff by giving the chain helmet & boots prot 1 (just to make it aesthetically pleasing to look at). Also gave it feather falling 3, since it will probably need it if it can hop around places.

Join our Discord!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Froggo