Kit Spy Rework

Mythless

Kit Name: Spy
Icon: Apple
Armory: Full Iron
Gear: Iron Sword (“Feigning” Enchant); 3 “Golden Apple,” Fuse

Description: “A deceptive kit that is a master of infiltration—the Spy starts on the enemy team, adopts that team’s tag color, and is almost identical to a Trooper.

As if they were a teammate, those enemies cannot hit the Spy for the first 2 minutes of the game, or until the Spy in question either attacks an enemy on the same team or starts arming that team’s bomb. It can also see and interact with that enemy team’s teamchat by using the command ‘/te’ instead of ‘/t’!”

Reasons for Rework:

This is what I think Spy should really do. Right now, Spy can basically be seen as an inferior Skinner to most extents. The current concept of Spy is rendered completely useless once players know you’ve been playing Spy, and it’s really only good in the literal start of the game.

Rundown of the Reworked Kit:

This new Spy starts off on the enemy team, or a random enemy team on 4-team maps. Unlike the current Spy, enemies from other teams on 4-team maps will view your tag color as if you belong to the team you spawned with. Because of this mechanic, this new Spy’s credit price should be much much more expensive (400~500 range?) to make situations like a whole squad of Spies less frequent.

It comes with 3 “Golden Apples.” Well, actually they are just regular apples, but they’ll look like Golden Apples to everyone else but your true team. You can eat them to heal 1 Heart, but their main purpose is being a prop for acting like a Trooper (Your hunger will be permanently set to 19 for this function). Also, like the current Spy mechanic, their kit and icon will be seen as Trooper when spectators see them in the team list UI.

The part you might be worried about the most is the whole “can’t be hit by enemies” thing. For simplicity’s sake, I will refer enemies from the same team you spawned in as “Enemy Teammates” or “E.T.” hereon. Let me elaborate on this through a bullet point list:
  • When the game starts, you are given a status that prevents enemies from the team you spawned in to damage or hit you in any way. For the sake simplicity, I’ll refer to this status as “Enemy Invincibility” or “E.I.” hereon.
  • E.I. ends immediately when you attack a visible E.T.
  • E.I. ends immediately when you start arming that enemy team’s bomb.
  • E.I ends 2 minutes after the game starts if you have not don’t any of the above 2 actions. This timer is represented by the draining EXP Bar.
  • <<< This point is VERY experimental, so don’t really consider this a part of this rework. Just throwing it out there because I don’t know how balanced this could be >>> E.I ends immediately if at least 5 different E.T. attempts to attack you within the frame of 2 seconds (through melee attacks only). If this happens, you will receive a message saying “You have been found as a spy by the enemy team!” This mechanic is to ensure players who know someone is a Spy can have a chance to sabotage them.
  • During E.I., you cannot hurt invisible E.T. This is because of the “Feigning” enchant you have on your sword, and it will go away—un-enchanting your sword—when E.I ends. And no, you cannot see invisible E.T. like a normal teammate would.
Also, I mentioned that Spy can see and interact with E.T.’s teamchat (meaning they can also speak in it). To do this, type “/te (msg)” instead of just “/t (msg).”

Spy’s Purpose:

The goal of playing this new Spy is unique: Wait for your team to rush or at least clash with your E.T., and start betraying amidst the chaotic turmoil of battle. E.T. will still see your tag color as if you belonged to their team even after the betraying them, so you can take advantage of that chaos even further. In hindsight, you are the ultimate flanker—using the element of surprise to catch them while they’re off-guard and pincering them between you and your true team.

Last edited:

Typicall

So just my thoughts on this. I have also been wanting to see a change in the spy kit. With so many veteran players on, many people know a spy when they see them due to the obvious white boots. Further more if you use a texture pack which many of us do. These boots stand out even more than normal. So one thing I agree on is that they should get full iron amor. So they look identical to the team they are trying to infiltrate. Second more, if hypothetically they start on the enemy team. They should not be able to see ghosts as I think this would be a bit unfair. I do like the idea that they start on the enemy team. But only if they also cannot attack the enemy team for a minute or two. That way there isn't like a 4 spies all spawn killing a group. But I really think spy does need a rework. Really really badly. The minimum changes I'd like to see is that they do have a full set of iron armor instead of leather boots. As of healing I believe they should be fine since by giving healing to spy, It would take away the purpose of using troopers. Since spies ability is to infiltrate that should be there only special thing. If we add healing then what's the point of using trooper if u get the same with spy? But an enchanted sword would be good so the blend in even more. However the enchant should me some useless enchant that adds no actual PvP edge to the player. Just to help them blend in with other troopers essentially. But mythless made some good point and I hope we all see a change in spy in some way to make the kit more practical, useful, and fun for the whole community!

Typicall

Oh and I just realized he said the kit comes with regular apple's XD. That I can go for

Onett

I like the Apple idea and the team chat idea you suggested but the idea that spy spawns in the enemy base isn’t gonna work out well

People would just rapidly spy check their whole team at the start of the game and the spy would just instantly get ratted out

Mythless

People would just rapidly spy check their whole team at the start of the game and the spy would just instantly get ratted out
yeah, I understand that’s a possibility. That’s why I put that disclaimer there before I mentioned the point—was really unsure of how balanced it would be to just be invincible to that enemy team without any sort of way to counteract it versus having that possibility and making the nature of that mechanic mostly obsolete

Smalusion

😳
Administrator
Spy currently has full iron armor!

Additionally, since yesterday, it spawns with Unbreaking on its sword and a single Enderpearl. These should allow it to infiltrate a team easier. Would like to see how it plays out with these changes.

...We'll also be working on communicating when and what updates are done, as not every change is announced currently other than in the announcement posts we'll be doing, which aren't ideal as they aren't quite daily.

Join our Discord!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Froggo

Today's birthdays