Kit Kit: Turtle

tababysuper

Name: Turtle
Description: A melee kit with slightly weaker armor with the ability to tank incoming damage at the cost of its mobility and ability to attack. Be wary as it is weak to the piercing arrows of arbalists.
Cost: 250 Credits

Armor: Turtle Shell Helmet, Green Leather Tunic, Iron Leggings, Iron Boots

Items: Iron Sword, Fuse

Ability - Turtle: When crouched turtle has the unique ability to becoming immune to all incoming damage. The trade off is that while crouched the player is not able to move or attack (it is able to fuse). Turtle should also receive some kind of decrease in FOV while crouched like dwarf does. While in a crouched state turtle takes no damage from explosions, but they should cause knock back. The strength of the blast in terms of hearts it would deal is proportional to the knockback received. So a trigger blast would make a turtle move much more than a burst shot would. The one weakness of a turtle is the arbalist. The piercing arrows of an arbalists crossbow are able to pierce the shell of a turtle and deal the regular amount of damage. Turtles can not remain invincible forever. Turtles can only remain in a turtled state for 20 seconds. The XP bar should show how much time a turtle has left to tank damage. Once a turtles uncrouches the XP bar begins to tick back up again. For every second a turtles in not crouched it gains one second of time it can be invincible again which caps out at 20. So if a turtle crouches for a full 20 seconds it would tale 20 seconds to fully replenish, however it does not need to be fully replenished to be used. When a turtle is the last player on a team it should not receive bomb arming 10.

I think this kit would be very interesting in practice. For example it could allow users to be the first to rush into battle and then crouch and be safe while their team comes to their aid. It could completely tank land mines to clear a path for teammates and it would be perfect for clutch defuses both on nukes and regular bombs. If played often players could probably get very skilled and block incoming attacks by quickly crouching before uncrouching and dealing a blow of their own. The only time I see it becoming and issue is when it is the last player standing, particularly in games with a nuke because it could repeatedly insta fuse while also being invincible, for this reason it should not receive bomb arming 10 when it is the last player. It’s existence will also provide slight buffs to kits with explosive capabilities, but mostly arbalist, which kinda really sucks right now.
I toyed with the idea of adding slowness to it, because obviously turtles are slow, but I’m the end I think that would make it too similar to jugg and I want it to fit a different niche.

tababysuper

Forgot to mention turtle should take fall damage, regardless of whether it is crouched or not.

Mythless

I like the concept of the kit, but I dunno if total invincibility is the way to go. You said that you didn’t want the kit to be too similar to jugg, and that you wanted it to fulfill a different niche.

The thing with Jugg is that it takes reduces damage from Melee and Ranged attacks, but not from other sources like fall, fire, poison, and explosions. Turtle could be almost the complete opposite: It can heavily reduce all external sources of damage and arrows when using its crouch ability.
  • Fall damage is mitigated by 80%, similar to landing on Hay/Honey Blocks.
  • Poison only takes 1/2 Heart, or immediately cures you if already poisoned.
  • Fire only takes 1/2 Heart of damage, or extinguishes 1 second after activating the ability if already on fire.
  • Explosion damage and knockback is reduced by 50%.
  • Damage from arrow projectiles is reduced by 40%
With this, Turtle can be a complete wall in games where damage source is varied. It is still niche because the kit’s ability will be absolutely useless when handling melee combat, which the majority of SnD kits are. Still, the kit counters other kits that rely on different sources of damage—Explosion, Demo, Pyro, Archers, and Venom specifically. I think maybe with these changes, Turtle shouldn’t receive the immobilizing effect just so it can be a viable pusher.

Onett

• Fire only takes 1/2 Heart of damage, or extinguishes 1 second after activating the ability if already on fire.
With this, Turtle can be a complete wall in games where damage source is varied. It is still niche because the kit’s ability will be absolutely useless when handling melee combat, which the majority of SnD kits are. Still, the kit counters other kits that rely on different sources of damage—Explosion, Demo, Pyro, Archers, and Venom specifically. I think maybe with these changes, Turtle shouldn’t receive the immobilizing effect just so it can be a viable pusher.
I think this is a cool revision, the original idea seems OP. These suggestions would definitely help the kit fare better in the beginning of the game when a wall of shortbows and pyros are preventing your team from pushing. I would exclude fall damage tho, seems kinda unneccessary. This kit has potential to act as a better option for a frontline tank since jugg is not good for that imo.

You didn't mention this, but to add onto the original idea, I feel like 20 seconds is a lot of time for the buff and I don't think the timer is necessary at that point. The fact that you have to be crouching to receive the damage resistance seems balanced to me. I agree with you in that it shouldn't be unable to hit and immobilized like dwarf tho.

While this kit isn't as tanky as jugg I think its a cool mashup of a fighter and tank kit, which is something that doesn't really exist in SnD yet.

tababysuper

I like the concept of the kit, but I dunno if total invincibility is the way to go. You said that you didn’t want the kit to be too similar to jugg, and that you wanted it to fulfill a different niche.

The thing with Jugg is that it takes reduces damage from Melee and Ranged attacks, but not from other sources like fall, fire, poison, and explosions. Turtle could be almost the complete opposite: It can heavily reduce all external sources of damage and arrows when using its crouch ability.
This is definitely an interesting idea, but I’m not sure if it’s exactly what I envisioned for this kit in particular. The main way that this kit differs from jugg is in its mobility. Yes, in its turtled state it would be incapable of moving, but it is totally up to the discretion of the user when to enter and exit that mode and when not turtled the kit had all the mobility of any other kit. Another way in which it would play differently is that jugg was designed to tank damage and draw the attention of players, while Turtle, when it becomes unhittable, would likely be ignored in favor of targets that could be hit, giving it the ability to hide itself even in the middle of a battle and choose its time to strike. I do agree that 20 seconds could be a bit long, 15 seconds could be a better option, but I want the kit to have the ability to completely defuse a bomb by itself with no danger. I also forgot to mention while on turtled state the player would not be receiving full regeneration. Assuming the toys time is 15 seconds they would receive no regeneration for the first 7.5 seconds, and regular regeneration for the last 7.5. This would make it so players repeatedly using the ability to make enemies miss would not be receiving regen while doing so, but players that have been stuck in one spot for a long time would receive a bit of Health necessary to either make their last stand, or try to escape. I just believe that the kit should have big play capabilities, where with those revisions it would just become another tank kit that only a select few would use, me not being one of them, and I don’t want to be the author of a kit I wouldn’t even use.

Join our Discord!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Froggo