Survival Gamemode

Would something like this interest you?

• Yes

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Elitemaster5

To add some background, I have been following the growth and consistency of other small servers with similar player sizes and comparing their performance to Athios'.

Balance
Almost every successful server, large or small, is able to keep a consistent player base because they cater to a variety of players. When trying to grow a successful server, we are going to need to please new players, and existing players. So far, the two gamemodes on Athios (Disasters and SnD) are considered fast paced gamemodes. Although these games are fun, people don't usually occupy the server to play SnD for 8hrs a day, which leaves the server in a dead state when regulars and new players take breaks. These two gamemodes can also be scary and confusing to new players checking out the server for the first time. This is where we need to find a balance in gamemodes to cater to a larger variety of players, while helping ourselves out by growing a steady player base. From my time working with the content team I have learned that recruiting players is the easy part, and getting them to stay is the hard part. I believe I have found a solution to help new players stay a while, help regulars spend more time one the server, and overall help keep the server occupied/build consistent player base.

Most of the servers that figured out this balance have a mix of fast paced minigames, and a solid slow paced mode that allows for more casual gamers to stick around and grind. Servers use modes like Prisons, Skyblock, Creative, and
Survival. Some of our competing servers with similar player sizes have implemented modes like these and have secured a steady player base because of it. A slower, more casual mode where people can chill, hang out, and grind all day would help Athios create a steady player base, while also catering to all kinds of gamers. Hopefully this will give the community another reason to hang out on the server.

Main Points

• Slower paced gamemode
  • Caters to larger variety of gamers
  • Helps keep new players around
  • Will help create a steady player base
Survival
I think a survival mode would be a good casual gamemode to add. Many of my friends from Athios enjoy playing on SMPs occasionally so I know there will be a good amount of people that would appreciate a mode like this. However, I'm suggesting that this survival mode is more than an ordinary SMP. I think it would be cool to make it somewhat unique by adding some extra features. These exclusive features can help keep players entertained as well as keep the gamemode enticing to new players.

The survival world could have a small town/city at the spawn where players can interact with NPCs to unlock achievements, discover lore, trade at the market, and craft special items. I believe that @Mythless once mentioned a while ago that it would be cool to add some SnD features to a survival server. I welcome anyone to add to this thread with ideas for ways we can include crossovers from Snd and Disasters. Possibly adding custom weapons and abilities to the SMP that are from kits in the other gamemodes on Athios. I also had the idea to extend the Athios fishing to parts of the SMP, maybe near the spawn city in designated areas. We might even be able to find some use for credits and points at the market. If this becomes a real mode, it would be cool to let the community help come up with some of the lore, since it would be a community based gamemode.

Main Points
  • Unique SMP
  • Casual
  • Spawn city with NPCs to interact with
  • Lore
  • SnD and Disasters item crossovers
  • Market
  • Athios fishing
Possible Questions:
Q: Is this a towny server?
A: No, this is an SMP with a fun, interactive hub and possible SnD/Disasters crossovers.

Q: How will Athios keep it interesting?
A: The SMP can have unique achievements to unlock, daily challenges, and community events.

Q: Will the world ever wipe?
A: Probably yes, maybe every 1-2 months, or whatever the community decides.

Please leave feedback and suggestions. I'd love to see the community help shape this idea.

MinerBat

hmm... this is a minigame server so im not quite sure about this... but if it will become a thing, then please dont wipe the world evey 2 months. if that is the case i wont play on it at all because i like long term progress like big redstone farms and megabases.

and maybe there could be custom structures to explore? like custom temples and dungeons and villages etc. if you do this, i will gladly help building them.

or even better, make it a roleplay survival server where you can start like a "country" either alone or with a group of people and have wars and create a world with history and such.

Espios

To add some background, I have been following the growth and consistency of other small servers with similar player sizes and comparing their performance to Athios'.

Balance
Almost every successful server, large or small, is able to keep a consistent player base because they cater to a variety of players. When trying to grow a successful server, we are going to need to please new players, and existing players. So far, the two gamemodes on Athios (Disasters and SnD) are considered fast paced gamemodes. Although these games are fun, people don't usually occupy the server to play SnD for 8hrs a day, which leaves the server in a dead state when regulars and new players take breaks. These two gamemodes can also be scary and confusing to new players checking out the server for the first time. This is where we need to find a balance in gamemodes to cater to a larger variety of players, while helping ourselves out by growing a steady player base. From my time working with the content team I have learned that recruiting players is the easy part, and getting them to stay is the hard part. I believe I have found a solution to help new players stay a while, help regulars spend more time one the server, and overall help keep the server occupied/build consistent player base.

Most of the servers that figured out this balance have a mix of fast paced minigames, and a solid slow paced mode that allows for more casual gamers to stick around and grind. Servers use modes like Prisons, Skyblock, Creative, and
Survival. Some of our competing servers with similar player sizes have implemented modes like these and have secured a steady player base because of it. A slower, more casual mode where people can chill, hang out, and grind all day would help Athios create a steady player base, while also catering to all kinds of gamers. Hopefully this will give the community another reason to hang out on the server.

Main Points

• Slower paced gamemode
  • Caters to larger variety of gamers
  • Helps keep new players around
  • Will help create a steady player base
Survival
I think a survival mode would be a good casual gamemode to add. Many of my friends from Athios enjoy playing on SMPs occasionally so I know there will be a good amount of people that would appreciate a mode like this. However, I'm suggesting that this survival mode is more than an ordinary SMP. I think it would be cool to make it somewhat unique by adding some extra features. These exclusive features can help keep players entertained as well as keep the gamemode enticing to new players.

The survival world could have a small town/city at the spawn where players can interact with NPCs to unlock achievements, discover lore, trade at the market, and craft special items. I believe that @Mythless once mentioned a while ago that it would be cool to add some SnD features to a survival server. I welcome anyone to add to this thread with ideas for ways we can include crossovers from Snd and Disasters. Possibly adding custom weapons and abilities to the SMP that are from kits in the other gamemodes on Athios. I also had the idea to extend the Athios fishing to parts of the SMP, maybe near the spawn city in designated areas. We might even be able to find some use for credits and points at the market. If this becomes a real mode, it would be cool to let the community help come up with some of the lore, since it would be a community based gamemode.

Main Points
  • Unique SMP
  • Casual
  • Spawn city with NPCs to interact with
  • Lore
  • SnD and Disasters item crossovers
  • Market
  • Athios fishing
Possible Questions:
Q: Is this a towny server?
A: No, this is an SMP with a fun, interactive hub and possible SnD/Disasters crossovers.

Q: How will Athios keep it interesting?
A: The SMP can have unique achievements to unlock, daily challenges, and community events.

Q: Will the world ever wipe?
A: Probably yes, maybe every 1-2 months, or whatever the community decides.

Please leave feedback and suggestions. I'd love to see the community help shape this idea.
I love this idea, but have a way to expand on it. Minerbat above had a simliar suggestion, but I want to make it even bigger.

Obviously we'd have a custom spawn/safe zone. And some custom structures would be cool too, sure.

But what if the entire world was custom?

Custom trees, structures, caves, ore generation, biomes, terrain, cliffs, etc etc.

With something called WorldPainter, you can create your own custom worlds on a massive scale. Using it's tools, you can quite literally paint your own world and export it. You can also upload schematics for the world to generate as well. This could be anything from custom trees made by the mapmakers, custom villages, structures, giant mushrooms, etc. The two attached pictures are of WorldPainter and what it looks like, and what it's capable of.

This video showns some pretty cool, although basic, custom biomes. Skip to 8:50 to see some examples.

I think this could really set our SMP apart from other server's, depending on how we go about this.

The only problem I think we could have is that I'm not sure Athios accepts "custom" world generation. Whenever a world is uploaded to Athios, at least in my experience, if it's a void world made with CleanRoom or VoidGenerator (plugins that work alongside Multiverse to create such worlds) Athios says it can't recognize the level.dat. I theorize this is because when you make a world using these plugins, it changes all the chunks within the world to whatever you selected (in my case, void) using custom terrain generation. All is well, and I'll finish a map to submit it. But when that world is uploaded, Athios tries to "load" the world using vanilla generation, and it gets confused with the weird franken-world that's made. The solution i've found to this is you have to make the void world in single player, then upload it to build on. Interestingly enough, if you submit the first world -- the one made with CleanRoom -- into singleplayer, all the chunks you loaded on your build server would be void, but all the chunks outside of the area you loaded in will be default terrain. Idk if that explains it well, and I'm not sure how WorldPainter will work on Athios, but I'm sure there's a way to make it happen.

Also expanding off of the idea Mythless had, it would be cool if there were custom crafting recipes to make items from SND (landmines, rpgs, burst arrows, barricades, etc).

Lastly, I think the world-wipe should be longer, around 6 months.

Attachments

MinerBat

i tried working with worldpainter before, but my laptop really wasnt a fan of it... but i have a much better computer now so i might try to learn it

Onett

Especially with the recent resurgence of the Dream SMP and Minecraft SMPs in general, this would definitely be great for marketing if advertised properly

I don’t play too much survival so I don’t have much to add but one thing that might be cool is seasonal events based on Minecraft time (1 day in mc = 30 minutes real time)

There could be special events in the hub on certain days or potential to get exclusive items or crafting materials during those seasons

Join our Discord!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Froggo