Accepted Voyager

SirDodgy

Map Name: Voyager
Map description: Two groups of mutineers fight for the remaining supplies on this drifting space station...
Author: SirDodgy
Pictures:

Important --> The time of the map has to be set to 18000 ticks to achieve the sense of it being in space...

Map Info:

•The bomb site contains crates and boxes for cover, but no overpowered camping spots.
•There is an underground area down some stairs in the room connected to the bomb site. This can allow for some defensive players to hide, while not being too close to the bomb.
•There are two ways to access the bomb site, the obvious open tunnel which is where the map leads, and a not-so-secret pipe players can crawl through if they spend the extra time getting to this spot...
•The tunnel to the bomb site is wide and contains plenty of cover on the side.
•The area between the mid-area and bombsites has 2 wide staircases as well as a ladder.
•This same area can be accessed three ways; the main door which is the obvious path, a small piston door, and another door accessed from an elevated platform in mid.
• To enter enemy territory there are two staircases leading to the elevated platform on either side of mid, one far wider than the other. (Also a ladder if you crawl up some boxes)
•There is a narrow opening in the middle of the map with a void pit beneath.
•Mid also contains some different elevated platforms.
•There are 12 spaces in the map with an open ceiling to allow supply crates to fall. 4 of these are in mid and clearly marked by a little platform on the ground.
•Mostly open spaces but simultaneously a lot of crates and boxes to supply cover.
•Made lots of small edits to my first version as well.
•Two cool planets outside the space station :)
•Feedback is appreciated.

Map Download: (updated)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/rdck6nql9dbaz2a/Voyager-Snd.zip/file

Last edited:

Dave_X

Staff Member
Administrator
Hey SirDodgy, a few quick points I noticed while looking around:
  • The map in incredibly dark inside, you should add more lights in the central areas of large rooms.
  • There aren't any places to call in supply crates since all ceilings are solid.
  • The ice planet immediately melted because of the lanterns 🥶
  • Running bomb-to-bomb took me 48 seconds. With a 10 sec defuse, that's not a lot of time left for error. Are there places you could shorten?
  • Little aesthetic thing: One of the fins on the central area is 2-wide when it should be 3-wide (The error is also mirrored on the other side)
Hope this helps!

SirDodgy

Hey SirDodgy, a few quick points I noticed while looking around:
  • The map in incredibly dark inside, you should add more lights in the central areas of large rooms.
  • There aren't any places to call in supply crates since all ceilings are solid.
  • The ice planet immediately melted because of the lanterns 🥶
  • Running bomb-to-bomb took me 48 seconds. With a 10 sec defuse, that's not a lot of time left for error. Are there places you could shorten?
  • Little aesthetic thing: One of the fins on the central area is 2-wide when it should be 3-wide (The error is also mirrored on the other side)
Hope this helps!
I had a full brightness setting on so I didn't think about the lighting, I'll fix that. Also didn't think about the supply crates, so I'll make sure to add some openings. I'll fix those points, thanks.

SirDodgy

•I've made a lot of changes to the map now. I added a new file download and photo album.
•The run time between bombs is now 38 seconds, but can be done in slightly less if you're fast.
•Fixed all the lighting issues.
•And lots of other stuff

Please have a look at the new version of the map :)

Giovani

Hey!

So I checked out the most recent version of the map you have for download and I really like the look of it! I had it in my head that if I did another map it would be a space station so now I'll have to think of something else...

Anyways here are my 2 critiques!:
- Dave is right about the map being on the bigger side. I didn't see the version where it took 48 secs so at least this 38 sec time is a lot better. I personally prefer around 20-30 secs but the only way I see another time reduction happening on this map is changing bomb locations as editing the current layout seems like it would require quite a bit of more effort.

I think it should still make it to testing though. In testing, we could see how it plays out and you can make changes to the map as you see needed (its what I did with Vertigo and I may still do some more minor changes to it).

- I would see about possible minor changes/additions you could make to make more kits viable on it. Most look like they will play fine but it's nice to keep in mind some other kits, like Marine, in mind. Marine now can make good use of its new movement abilities and there are a good amount of places on the map where it could make use of some nice pools of water. Also, it would not hurt the aesthetics of the map to add some bare stone on the floor for some of the chokepoints so that Demo has some good places to put down mines. Small little changes like this can help the map be just a little bit better.

Overall I like the potential and would really love to play on it. I have high hopes this will at least make it into testing. GL!

SirDodgy

Hey!

So I checked out the most recent version of the map you have for download and I really like the look of it! I had it in my head that if I did another map it would be a space station so now I'll have to think of something else...

Anyways here are my 2 critiques!:
- Dave is right about the map being on the bigger side. I didn't see the version where it took 48 secs so at least this 38 sec time is a lot better. I personally prefer around 20-30 secs but the only way I see another time reduction happening on this map is changing bomb locations as editing the current layout seems like it would require quite a bit of more effort.

I think it should still make it to testing though. In testing, we could see how it plays out and you can make changes to the map as you see needed (its what I did with Vertigo and I may still do some more minor changes to it).

- I would see about possible minor changes/additions you could make to make more kits viable on it. Most look like they will play fine but it's nice to keep in mind some other kits, like Marine, in mind. Marine now can make good use of its new movement abilities and there are a good amount of places on the map where it could make use of some nice pools of water. Also, it would not hurt the aesthetics of the map to add some bare stone on the floor for some of the chokepoints so that Demo has some good places to put down mines. Small little changes like this can help the map be just a little bit better.

Overall I like the potential and would really love to play on it. I have high hopes this will at least make it into testing. GL!
Hi Giovani, thanks for the input.

•Unfortunately yeah it would be very hard to reduce the time now without changing the entire map, but I personally think 38 seconds is fine.
•There are several maps without any water for marine and I think the gameplay is still fun on them. I see how adding water can add more interesting gameplay, however I feel that water wouldn't fit in well with this map and I don't see any good places for there to be water. I really like your idea for demo though, so I decided to add in some stone in the tunnels leading to the bomb site so that landmines blend in with the floor.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well, thanks! :)

Smalusion

😳
Administrator
Hey SirDodgy, this is a really unique theme! Well done on addressing the concerns from other players. I have some of my own, however, namely of the effectiveness of some side paths you have.
  • There’s one ceiling tunnel which leads directly over the bomb room. It’s a great spot to shoot arrows or grenades from, but there’s no way for the defenders to do anything about it, which is especially an issue due to just how much an attacker can see! Possibly try continuing the nearby stairs to connect up to that platform.
  • There’s one pathway that leads from in the bomb room to down a set of stairs, through an airlocked tunnel, through a hole in the side, and finally sets you… back at the bomb room, slightly closer to the bomb. Basically, this passageway doesn’t give you any real distance for the time it takes, nor does it bypass any walls or chokepoints. It seems like a waste of time to go down it. Not much would be lost by blocking it off I believe.
  • There’s also a piston doorway that’s right next to two other entrances. Due to the redstone, you can only easily open it from the outside. It’s neat, but it doesn’t seem to do much. If you’d like to keep it, would recommend leaving it permanently open or having it as a one way door.’
  • There’s a hole in the wall at -43, 101, -164. Minor, but just be sure to patch it up!

That’s about it for now. I’ll let you know if there’s anything else!
Anyway, keep it up

SirDodgy

Hey SirDodgy, this is a really unique theme! Well done on addressing the concerns from other players. I have some of my own, however, namely of the effectiveness of some side paths you have.
  • There’s one ceiling tunnel which leads directly over the bomb room. It’s a great spot to shoot arrows or grenades from, but there’s no way for the defenders to do anything about it, which is especially an issue due to just how much an attacker can see! Possibly try continuing the nearby stairs to connect up to that platform.
  • There’s one pathway that leads from in the bomb room to down a set of stairs, through an airlocked tunnel, through a hole in the side, and finally sets you… back at the bomb room, slightly closer to the bomb. Basically, this passageway doesn’t give you any real distance for the time it takes, nor does it bypass any walls or chokepoints. It seems like a waste of time to go down it. Not much would be lost by blocking it off I believe.
  • There’s also a piston doorway that’s right next to two other entrances. Due to the redstone, you can only easily open it from the outside. It’s neat, but it doesn’t seem to do much. If you’d like to keep it, would recommend leaving it permanently open or having it as a one way door.’
  • There’s a hole in the wall at -43, 101, -164. Minor, but just be sure to patch it up!

That’s about it for now. I’ll let you know if there’s anything else!
Anyway, keep it up
Thanks, made all those changes.

•Removed access to the bottom area by the bomb room
•The ceiling tunnel that goes to the bomb room now goes to the area below it which is accessible by stairs.
•The piston door can only be opened from one side (defending side)
•Removed the hole in the wall

Any other feedback is appreciated :)
(The link given in the post is now the new updated version)

Dave_X

Staff Member
Administrator
This map has entered the testing phase, well done! Not much else to say. As said in the other post, we’ll be watching how it’s received by the community, but make sure to take your own notes as well. If you have any updates or changes on the map, you’re free to message them to us directly.

Setery

From playing it once, the map is really bow spammy, there's a lot of cover and despite the campiness, there's literally an unprotected path straight to bomb. This may sound weird but think about it from a player's perspective. Bow kits are really strong so they think that they should go bow or something of the sorts. Now all the bows die to a full unprotected rushing spot.

But that was from a first time playthrough. I think with more playthroughs, people will go things like dwarf and jugg to protect that flank which will just stack onto the campiness of this map. Which will likely cause the map to go to poison which is usually not fun in most people's minds.

The main problems that need to get fixed are the main bowspam tunnel in bomb room and the rushing tunnel straight to bomb. There are only two options currently. The rest of the map seems pretty fun though so don't take this harshly.

Join our Discord!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Froggo