Accepted Solluna Town [v4.2] - Now has a 1.16 Version!

Mythless

Hey guys,

I just wanted to share this lovely little town map I made! It's pretty peaceful-looking, so I'm sure it will serve some nice eye-candy for y'all!

Map Name: Solluna Town
Map Author: Mythless
Map Description: "Just a humble little town—hosted to fertility by a modest sun and moon. Surely nothing could go wrong with these celestial bodies... right?"

Since this map is pretty small, I'm just gonna post all the images of it directly on this thread! (It's only 4):

2020-06-26_13.05.45.png

This is the map from a nice birds-eye view angle! See, it's real peaceful, and very green!

2020-06-26_12.32.08.png

Wow, look at those awesome horses! And all the gorgeous apple trees!

2020-06-26_12.32.32.png

This fountain is the middle of the map. I think this watery decoration tops off the town very nicely!

2020-06-26_12.32.50.png

Finally, we have the town entrances located on the side of the maps. They even have a lovely sign greeting! :D... Huh? What do you mean? Where are the team bombs you ask? Why would there be any bombs here?! This lovely pre-game town shouldn't need any bombs!

And yes, you read that right. This is only the pre-game area. The "exploration area" as it is dubbed.

THE REAL MAP(S?)

Ok, sorry for foolin y'all. I should probably explain what the hell I mean by this.

TEAM BASES

2020-06-26_13.02.42.png
2020-06-26_12.37.22.png
The layout is pretty nice--it's 2 floors, so there shouldn't be a big problem fighting in these bases. Each team should spawn on the second floor.

That lush, green town you saw before? Again, that was only the exploration area. That town was made to serve as a precursor for what's the come.

"A precursor for what's the come?" Yes. Depending on which door is open, you will fight in Solluna Town--in a ruined, catastrophic state!

In the day, players must fight in a wasted town that is torn to shreds by an infernal, apocalyptic sun!

2020-06-26_12.39.04.png

And in the night, they must fight in a desolate town under a cold, gravity-bending moon!

2020-06-26_12.41.29.png

So, have I caught your attention?

Here is the full image album of the map. Each image has a little description, so it would be best to view them on the host website.

Map Download (v4.2 - 6/28/2020): https://www.dropbox.com/s/guao7x7wivd22ng/Solluna Town v4.2.zip?dl=0

Map Download (1.16 VERSION - RECOMMENDED):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p7w5lrscf01ttlv/Solluna Town (1.16!).zip?dl=00

VERSION 4.2 (6/28/2020)

- Added a secret little room that displays the map credits. It's located below the fountain in the regular Solluna Town!

VERSION 4.1 (6/27/2020)

Though changes are slightly apparent, I don't feel they warrant an update to the screenshots.

- Luna Town: Added some White Stained Glass on the climbable icicles. This makes them easier to spot as they are essentially the only pathways to the floating islands.

- Luna Town: Minor gameplay fixes/improvements. Mainly fixing up the Snow on the ground.

- Sol Town: Replaced all Redstone Ore with Iron Ore in attempt to reduce map lag. (Redstone Ore emits weak light and particles when stepped on or right-clicked, and they don't seem to go away once they've been interacted with.)

VERSION 4.0 (6/26/2020)

All the changes here are mainly just for refinement and improvements on both gameplay and aesthetics. Changes are quite noticeable!

- The Solar/Lunar doors are bigger, and more detailed! This should allow for better gameplay and create less of a bottlenecked chokepoint for the enemies.

- Team Bases: Changed all cobblestone to Stone Bricks. Also added some Polished Granite/Diorite as thematic motifs. It should have some more lighting too!

- Luna Town: Replaced all grass blocks with Snow Blocks; Replaced all White Terracotta on the map borders with White Concrete Powder; Replaced all Coarse Dirt with Grass Blocks; Replaced all Lapis Ore with Diamond Ore.

- Luna Town: A new pair of giant icicles have sprouted, cutting off an unintentional pathway to the team bases. You could still scale them to enter the middle, but not the other way around!

- Luna Town: Replaced all Packed Ice on the icicles with Light Blue Glass to Blue Ice. This should help distinguish them just a little better, albeit very subtly.

- Sol Town: More lava oozed out of the geysers in the middle area, cutting off an unintentional pathway to the team bases. They would have to go around the tents and climb them in order to continue their run!

VERSION 3.1 (6/25/2020)

- Minor detail fixes. Although it may look a little different, they don't warrant an update to the screenshots.

- Fixed some broken redstone.

- Removed some item frames in an attempt to reduce map lag.

- Sol Town: Removed some Fire in an attempt to reduce map lag.

* Extra Note: Changed suggestion for the map's borders; Map border height reduced from Y=57 to Y=48.

VERSION 3.0 (6/25/2020)

I'll be honest: This was a pain to work with xD Transferring each new change in the regular town into the playable towns, and then ruining them in their respective fashions took a LOT of time. Meh, at least I did it though!

- General: Border Walls have been improved.

- General: House design has been improved! They now have more style and character!

- General: Structure variety! Some of the houses have been replaced with stables and windmills.

- General: The glass pillar in the team bases have been removed.

- Sol Town: Replaced all Netherrack & Magma Blocks with Granite; all Red Netherbrick walls have been replaced with Granite walls.

- Sol Town: Removed some of the debris on the ground, making it easier to traverse around the map while also making it look less ugly!

- Sol Town: Removed some Fire and Campfires in attempt to reduce map lag.

- Sol Town: Replaced red/orange/yellow concrete with stained glass for the meteor flame effect.

- Sol Town: Pathways have been slightly modified due to new structures.

- Luna Town: The craters left by the floating islands are now shallower, making it easier to traverse.

- Luna Town: Some of the frozen hedges have been removed, opening the map up more with easier and more apparent side-paths.

- Luna Town: The roofs of the houses and market tents now have some snow atop.

- Luna Town: Overall brighter, which more lighting throughout the map.

- Luna Town: Pathways have been slightly modified due to new structures.

- Miscellaneous: The musical jingles that are set to play at the start of the game has been slightly improved. :3

VERSION 2.0 (6/23/2020)

- Bases have been completely redone! They now have more structure, style, space, and even a second floor to fight on!

- Sol Town: Podzol has been changed to Coarse Dirt.

- Luna Town: There are now small floating islands that connect the existing floating islands near the team bases and the ones at center.

- Fixed biome issues.

- Fyshless.

VERSION 1.2 (6/23/2020)

- Fixed one of the Day Doors that broke from v1.1.

VERSION 1.1 (6/23/2020)

- Changed all ice to packed ice. Because melting ice is not very nice. (Will probably update images later on)

- Fixed biomes

Some important notes regarding this map:
  • When you enter the world, you will spawn in the pre-game area. You will have to fly outside and manually enter the playable town areas yourself.
  • These doors are one-way. Meaning: The day doors do not functionally open when the time is set to day, and night doors do not functionally close when it is set to day. If you set the time to night, you would have to reload the world in order to reset the doors (or you could just ignore them and carry about).
  • To clarify once more: The normal Solluna Town is only for the pre-exploration time. It is not meant to be played on; when the game is about the start, players will be teleported to their team bases.
  • To staff: If this seems a bit too daunting to implement the map borders, don't worry! I marked the edges of the map with glowstone outside of the map area, so all you have to do is set the dimensions there (it spans across all of the three map variants that are neatly lined-up with each other.) Also, please be sure that the border height is set at EXACTLY Y=48.
Any and every piece of feedback would be much appreciated! I'm definitely sure I will get this map downpat after a few updates! Though depending on what that change is, it will be quite the work since I would have to reflect the changes across all three map variants so that they are parallels 😅

Last edited:

Onett

Spawning spectators in the regular town and then leading them into either of the two towns once the game begins is a really cool idea.

The lunar side of the map looks nice. I really dig the aesthetic but one thing I would suggest is that there should be floating isles connecting the ones near base to the ones at mid. It would make going on the isles more viable.

I think the sun version should be modified. The ground has too many contrasting blocks and while the town is supposed to look like it was ravaged by meteors, it looks a bit too ugly imo. Other than that its cool aesthetically. Gameplay also seems alright.

Bases could definitely use changes. Right now its just one choke point and that would draw out games and make camping common. You should either add more sun/moon gates or add more stuff like walls or multiple floors in the bases to make game play more fun and fair for both teams.

Mythless

I think the sun version should be modified. The ground has too many contrasting blocks and while the town is supposed to look like it was ravaged by meteors, it looks a bit too ugly imo. Other than that its cool aesthetically. Gameplay also seems alright.
Could it by chance be just the podzol throwing you off? Now that I look at it, it does feel a little off; I could change that to coarse dirt instead.

Bases could definitely use changes. Right now its just one choke point and that would draw out games and make camping common. You should either add more sun/moon gates or add more stuff like walls or multiple floors in the bases to make game play more fun and fair for both teams.
Gotcha. Don't think I should add more sun/moon doors, because frankly I want to keep redstone to a minimum this time. So I'll maybe add another floor and some walls.

Mythless

Yo yo, I've just been spamming updates left and right today lmao

Map has been updated to 2.0. Most notable change are the team bases!

SirDodgy

Few points I'd make:

•I think the borders should be changed, the large flat stone walls look really unnatural and not very pleasant to look at.
•The houses are a bit dull in my opinion, and the edge of the roof that makes the lining a 'u' shape looks a bit strange.
•The the sun version also needs some work, as onett said there's a lot of contrast in the village, the colours don't blend very well together. I'd recommend using stained glass for a better flame effect on the meteors.
•Maybe add some different buildings, all the houses being identical is a bit too repetitive. All the houses also provide lots of camping spots.
•I think the glass pillar under the bomb should be removed, it kinda prevents proper gameplay, make it a little too cramped.
•A lot of obstacles on the floor, the flat areas are quite narrow.
•I also experience a lot of lag on this map which I assume most others will as well.

I really like the concept though, it's a fun idea.

Mythless

Just updated the map to version 3.0. This was... a big pain to do xD

But hey, I did it! Go check out the changes :3

Smalusion

😳
Administrator
Hey Mythless. Once again, great map concept. I think it really takes what you've learned from Chronofield and applied it excellently. Quick note, this isn't an "official judging" reply, those will come sometime later! I just wanted to add some thoughts/notes on the map.

On the Solar side, the changes made over the different versions are great. Though it is a bit chaotic and messy, it's much less so compared to the original, now looking a lot more purposeful while still very visually distinct from the Lunar side. I've no complaints or concerns about it currently.

On the Lunar side, I do have a few complaints or concerns. On the gameplay side, there's a very clear side? path that basically leads you directly from one base entrance to the other.
It seems like a very easy path to take for its potential utility. Maybe consider adding some obstacles or walls so its more difficult to take. ...That's it for the gameplay side of the Lunar half! But on the aesthetics side....

The mountains I feel could use a bit of refinement. This should be an easy change though!
Mainly I'd change the grass and white terracotta to something like snow blocks and white concrete powder. I also think the lapis ore could be diamond, to look more like ice.
This really gives it an icy, frozen feeling I think.

When I changed the grass blocks to snow, it also affected the grass on the ground in a way I thought was neat. I changed the existing coarse dirt into grass to replace what was replaced, and I think it gives off a higher feeling of purpose, like they match the paths of the original town more. Ditching the coarse dirt also makes it have less contrast, which I think is good since it's just the ground.

Onto the bases. One entrance is rough, though I get that it's necessary due to the map's design. Would be possible to make the entrances wider? 5 wide could be a good start, though I'm not sure how well that'd work with the existing redstone. 5 tall if you want to keep it square is definitely an option, though I imagine that'd be a bit harder.
On the aesthetics side, I'm not a fan of all the cobble personally. It's a rough block. Simple change to stone bricks could work here, though of course you're free to try whatever you think looks cool.

Final notes, I really like the little tunes you put for when the game starts. Hearing it would be the perfect combo as you see the lunar door open and the clock on the wall wildly spin. I don't think the solar tune would ever play though, unless there's some redstone way to detect when a game starts... and I don't think there is.
Anyway, keep it up! Always enjoy seeing another map update.

Mythless

Ooo, thanks for the interesting before/after bits! That really gave me a good take on what I can do next; I’ll probably work on it tomorrow, thanks!

Also, to respond to one thing you said about the musical jingles:
I don't think the solar tune would ever play though, unless there's some redstone way to detect when a game starts... and I don't think there is.
Anyway, keep it up! Always enjoy seeing another map update.
There actually is a way to detect when the game starts, although I had to get a bit creative with it! To elaborate a bit on how it works: Observer blocks detect block updates, that includes any and all forms of updates—even different redstone signal strengths. And luckily: Daylight Sensors change their signal strength depending on the in-game time.

So: I set up an Observer block to detect the Daylight Sensor. Since the time is determined right when the game starts, the Daylight Sensor will give an update, which in turn will, in theory, power the Observer! Though, it’s not perfect—if the time doesn’t change as much from before the game starts (noon I believe), then the Daylight Sensor’s power level won’t change, hence the Observer wouldn’t detect an update. Probably the best I could come up with, but hey if it works I’ll take It. Better than nothing!

Smalusion

😳
Administrator
Ooo, thanks for the interesting before/after bits! That really gave me a good take on what I can do next; I’ll probably work on it tomorrow, thanks!

Also, to respond to one thing you said about the musical jingles:

There actually is a way to detect when the game starts, although I had to get a bit creative with it! To elaborate a bit on how it works: Observer blocks detect block updates, that includes any and all forms of updates—even different redstone signal strengths. And luckily: Daylight Sensors change their signal strength depending on the in-game time.

So: I set up an Observer block to detect the Daylight Sensor. Since the time is determined right when the game starts, the Daylight Sensor will give an update, which in turn will, in theory, power the Observer! Though, it’s not perfect—if the time doesn’t change as much from before the game starts (noon I believe), then the Daylight Sensor’s power level won’t change, hence the Observer wouldn’t detect an update. Probably the best I could come up with, but hey if it works I’ll take It. Better than nothing!
That is really creative. Respect for that. Also very handy to know, may try employing this myself in future maps. Thanks for letting me know how it works!

Mythless

Just updated the map to version 4.0. Thanks for all the suggestions Smal--I think it looks great and should play a lot better than before!

Mythless

Hey yall!

In the wake of Athios being updated to 1.16 relatively soon, I thought I'd take the chance to also update my current map submissions to use 1.16 features! For Solluna Town, each of the towns have been spruced up with the new biomes alongside minor block swaps!

Not going to update the screenshots; they will remain as pre-1.16. I created a second map download, so if you're very curious to what's changed, then please check it out!

Smalusion

😳
Administrator
Well Mythless, good news!
This map is now in the testing phase! Not much else to say, you’ve addressed all current concerns. We’ll be watching how it’s received by the community, but make sure to take your own notes as well. If you have any updates or changes on the map, you’re free to message them to us directly.

Thanks for the map submission.

Join our Discord!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Froggo